New Aged Care Residence Under Construction
Mayflower has started work on a two-stage $34 million redevelopment of its Reservoir aged care residence. The upgrade will create a state-of-the-art, dementia-friendly aged care facility for 110 residents.
The current aged care residence, which is almost 40 years old, will be replaced by a contemporary, architect-designed, two-storey building. The facility will eventually grow to care for 110 residents.
The redevelopment will deliver:
- A two-storey, architect-designed building with private rooms and ensuites for 110 residents
- A built environment with specific consideration for residents with dementia and other cognitive impairment
- An environment that welcomes and caters for residents and families from culturally diverse backgrounds through lifestyle programs, menu choices and multicultural staff
- An increase in the aged care qualified and skilled workforce, recruited from within the local community.
Each group of 22 residents will have their own private spaces including a separate dining room and dedicated living area. There will also be large shared areas where all residents can gather together for activities and smaller areas which will accommodate individual programs.
Just Like Home
The new buildings will be designed to look and feel like home through the selection of soft furnishings, floor coverings, window dressings and artwork. Residents can personalise their room, and couples and relatives can be accommodated close together.
When complete, residents will enjoy:
- Larger bedrooms, each with a private ensuite
- Ample recreational space, including upper storey terraces overlooking the garden
- Four courtyards and landscaped perimeter gardens
- A dedicated hairdressing salon, library and chapel
- A cinema room with comfortable chairs and a large screen
- A gymnasium to promote wellness and reablement
- Dementia-friendly design to provide safe care for residents with cognitive impairment
- More programs for residents from diverse cultures who speak languages other than English
The new facility is being built in two stages, so that existing residents can continue to live at Mayflower Reservoir while building takes place. Stage 1 has commenced and will build 54 rooms around August 2020. Construction of the remaining 56 rooms in Stage 2 will commence as soon as Stage 1 is complete. The new facility is expected to be fully operational in late 2021.